Wow, we are already on week 4 of the 'Hatching' a Quilt tutorial series! As a quilter, I love continuous quilting in the hoop because I get consistent quilting designs, consistent stitches, and it saves me time.
Hatch Embroidery makes it simple to create continuous designs to elevate your quilting projects. I use the techniques of this tutorial almost weekly on everything from show quilts to quilted tote bags to quick baby shower gifts. It is simple to create the designs in Hatch Embroidery and let the embroidery machine do your quilting. May you have a “continuously” joyful designing experience.
Basic Objectives and Creative Options
- The goal is to have fun and become more familiar with Hatch Embroidery.
- The quilt blocks in this project are all created in Hatch Embroidery Digitizer and stitched completely in the embroidery hoop. Block assembly is done on the sewing machine.
- The basic concepts learned in the lessons are stepping-stones to your creativity. Consider using these techniques in combination to build new quilt blocks.
- Don't be afraid to flex your creative muscles and put your own slant on the quilt. You are the designer and Hatch Embroidery provides endless opportunities to express your imagination.
- Blocks are 10” square (9.5”/24.13 cm finished) and there are lessons for 6 different blocks in the project (9 blocks total with duplicates in the corners). The finished quilt project as shown is 28.5”/72.39 cm X 28.5”/72.39 cm. Note: Block size can easily be adjusted based on the hoop size used and additional blocks can be added to make a larger quilted project.
- Embroidery machine tension may need to be tweaked so that upper and lower threads are evenly balanced.
Supplies for the Entire Project
- Hatch Embroidery Digitizer
- Fabric for front of blocks: (white)- 1.5 yards/1.4 meters recommended or adequate fabric to cover the hoop used
- Fabric for back of blocks: (print)- 1.5 yards/1.4 meters recommended or adequate fabric to cover the hoop used
- Fabric for applique and pieced blocks: ¼ yard/0.25 meters each of 2 prints
- Batting: 1.5 yards recommended or adequate fabric to cover the hoop used (enough for 9 blocks)
- Sashing fabric (Print): 1/3 yard / 0.3 meters
- Binding fabric: ¼ yard/0.25 meters
- Mesh-type cut-away stabilizer: 1 roll, width/height to cover selected hoop
- Temporary adhesive spray
- Assorted embroidery thread
- Applique' scissors for removing excess stabilizer/clipping around appliqued fabrics
- Rotary cutter/mat and acrylic rulers (12”/30.48 cm square and long ruler recommended)
- Masking tape (to better secure the backing of the blocks while stitching as backs are not hooped in most blocks)
- Invisible thread (used to top stitch sashing fabrics)
- Water-soluble stabilizer: 1-2 sheets for Trapunto block
Supplies for the Continuous Quilting Block
- Circle embellishment design (included in the zip file you downloaded)
- Front fabric: Minimal 12”/30.48 cm square (to be trimmed after embroidery)
- Backing fabric: Minimal 12”/30.48 cm square (to be trimmed after embroidery)
- Batting - 1 piece large enough to cover the hoop
Stabilizer - 2 sheets to cover the hoop
- Assorted Embroidery Thread
- Temporary Spray Adhesive
First I will show you how to create the center design.
Then you will learn how to create the outer circles and branch them together to avoid jump stitches.
We will finish the block design by using the Ambience Quilting tool.
Finally all there is left to do is stitch out your block!
Part 1 - Monogram Block
Part 2 - Fills, Thrills & Outlines Block
Part 3 - Appliqué Block
Part 5 - Trapunto Block
Part 6 - Perfectly Pieced Block & Assembling the Quilt
Kristie has been an educator, designer, business consultant, and sewist for over 20 years. She currently consults for the sewing industry, providing guidance on product development, writing articles, testing products, teaching, and creating marketing pieces.
Hatch Embroidery software products are in popular use in over 100 countries. It is time to join the global trend and give Hatch a try! The 30-day Free Trial grants you unlimited use of all the amazing features and the 30-day Money Back Guarantee ensures that there is absolutely no risk involved.
Did you enjoy this article? We'd love to hear your feedback!